- September 19, 2014
- September 19, 2014
- September 18, 2014
- September 16, 2014
- September 15, 2014
- September 11, 2014
- September 9, 2014
- September 5, 2014
- September 4, 2014
Churning Congress Fuels Revolving DoorTweet
November 16, 2006
The Revolving Door is in a tailspin:
- John Mashburn, former general counsel to Sen. Judd Greg (R-N.H.) and then-Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott (R-Miss.) will be working at Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice, a North Carolina law firm, as a Senate rules specialist. "The Democrats were very good at using the rules...to at least having their side of an issue aired," Mashburn told the Washington Post. Mashburn also worked for then-Sen. John D. Ashcroft (R-Mo.) and then-Rep. Tom DeLay (R-TX).
- Others at the firm: former Democratic governor James Hunt, former chief of staff for then-Sen. Jesse Helms (R-N.C.) Jimmy Broughton, former chief of staff for then-Sen. John Edwards (D-N.C.), and former aide to then-Sen. Lloyd Bentsen (D-TX).
- Boston Scientific Corp. hired Brenda Becker, Vice President Cheney's assistant for legislative affirs, to begin work in January as senior vice president for global government affairs. Becker also worked at the Commerce Department and the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
- After Thanksgiving, Former White House Office of Management and Budget press secretary Scott Milburn joins APCO Worldwide as vice president.
- Kevin Kayes, chief counsel to Sen. Harry M. Reid (D-NV), will shortly join Quinn Gillespie & Associates. Kayes has also worked for Sen. Robert Byrd (D-WV). The firm is also home to David Hoppe, a former leadership aide to Sen. Trent Lott (R-MS).
At the time of publication, Mandy Smithberger was an investigator for the Project On Government Oversight, focusing on Department of the Interior oversight, including oil and gas royalties. Mandy also covered national security.
Authors: Mandy Smithberger
Browse POGOBlog by Topic
POGO on Facebook
Podcast; Social Media, Internet Provides Opportunities, Challenges for Lawmakers
The Congressional Management Foundation offers the Gold Mouse Awards annually to members of Congress who make the most of the opportunity the digital world offers them. POGO spoke with members of Rep. Mike Honda's communications team about their award.