Skip to Main Content

New Book to Chronicle Camp Lejeune Water Contamination

Our Tabke Box

A new book about the water contamination at Camp Lejeune, which sickened hundreds of thousands of Marines and their families, will be released in early 2014, according to Military Times.

The book, “A Trust Betrayed: The Untold Story of Camp Lejeune and the Poisoning of Generations of Marines and Their Families,” is by National Journal managing editor Mike Magner.

For more than three decades, Marines, their families, and civilians who worked at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina used contaminated water for drinking, bathing, and cooking. Up to one million people were exposed to industrial degreasers and known carcinogens in the water.

The Project On Government Oversight has been working with Camp Lejeune victims and activists to secure recognition and justice for those affected by the contamination. Last year, President Obama signed into law a bill to provide healthcare to the Marines and their families who have rare forms of cancer and other illnesses after time spent at Camp Lejeune.

Though the victims have received some recognition and assistance, the Navy and Marine Corps continue to withhold crucial documents after years of attempting to cover up the contamination. Now, a bipartisan group of lawmakers is pushing for a new, full report from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) on the health effects of the contamination after a previous CDC report was withdrawn.

In an interview with Military Times, Magner said he ran into similar walls of secrecy while reporting for “A Trust Betrayed.”

From the article:

“[The Marine Corps] have been very uncooperative. I tried for two months this spring to get an interview with the commandant,” Magner said. “I offered to go anywhere, at any time, if he would talk with me for 20 minutes. I got a comment that his schedule was booked and he had no time. That’s the way they’ve been all along.”

This veil of secrecy is concerning, especially given that the victims of Camp Lejeune may not be getting the medical care required by the law. A Rock Center report on this is troubling. We will be keeping a close eye on the government to ensure it provides adequate care and compensation to those suffering—and tells the truth about what really happened.

To learn more about the contamination at Camp Lejeune, listen to a podcast POGO recorded with Retired Master Sergeant Jerry Ensminger, who was a drill instructor at Camp Lejeune and whose daughter Janey died of leukemia when she was nine after being exposed to the contaminated water. Ensminger became a vocal advocate for victims of Camp Lejeune, and has been working for years to uncover the truth and secure justice for those exposed to the contamination. Ensminger was also the subject of the documentary Semper Fi: Always Faithful about Camp Lejeune.

By: Andre Francisco
Online Producer, POGO

andre francisco Andre Francisco is the Online Producer for the Project On Government Oversight.

Topics: Public Health and Science

Related Content: Camp Lejeune Contamination Cover-up, Government Secrecy, Information Access, Public Health

Authors: Andre Francisco

Submitted by og7779311 at: July 30, 2014
I'm an ex-Marine that was at camp lejeune in 1985-86.I now have scleroderma!Had toxic blood since I left there.
Submitted by Rodney Rhodan at: May 4, 2014
CTS Corporation v. Waldburger; The Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act preempted North Carolina's statute of repose. http://www.epa.gov/superfund/policy/sara.htm
Submitted by Jar Head at: December 8, 2013
I too was stationed there and have had throat Cancer. It took two years for some Dr.at the VA to say I didnt have anything but they have approved three other cases of throat Cancer,Its who you know in Washington! Now I get to sit back and waite on my appeal for the next two years or more.I wish everyone in America would write there Senators and Congress Men and Women. Ive written several on both sides of the aisle on a weekly basis and it all falls on Deaf Ears with no replys. They honestly do not care if we live or die and many Marines have fallen to Cancer and many are sick! They refuse to grant Disability to 80% of us,as all our claims come out of Louisville ,Ky. Fight for your Country and then fight your Govenment for the Benefits they promised ! God Bless
Submitted by KT at: November 5, 2013
I was born at Camp Lejune, 1959, my parent's, one sister,and two brothers. No history of cancer on either side of the families. I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer at the age of 42. My father died of non-smoker's lung cancer. we lived at Tararra Terrace for 6 years.I was a powder formula fed baby with that water. Siblings are fine. Looking for more information?
Submitted by concerned nephew at: September 22, 2013
My uncle was a Marine based at Camp Lejeune from 59 to 61. He was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and they found a large tumor in his pancreas. Nobody in our family has had this kind of cancer. It makes sense to me now. Nobody has notified him about the contamination. This is an outrage.
Submitted by mg at: August 31, 2013
My older sister was at Camp Lejeune, and died at 37 of a rare inflammation of blood vessels around her stomach. Drs couldn't figure out the cause; now it all makes sense. Her death broke my mother's heart.