POGO letter to Senators Webb and McCaskill supporting "The Commission on Wartime Contracting Act" (S.1825)Tweet
The Honorable James H. Webb
The Honorable Claire McCaskill
Via Facsimile: 202-228-6326
Dear Senators Webb and McCaskill:
The Project On Government Oversight appreciates being given the opportunity to review “The Commission on Wartime Contracting Act (S. 1825).” We believe this bill makes great strides towards holding accountable those who have been responsible for waste, fraud, abuse, and mismanagement of wartime contracts. We strongly endorse the aims and goals of S. 1825 which ensures that we are not only retroactive in achieving accountability in wartime contracts but recommends specific steps to move forward consistent with an open and transparent government.
In particular, POGO supports the following elements of the legislation:
- The establishment of an independent and bipartisan eight-member Commission on Wartime Contracting which will study and investigate the following:
- Federal agency contracting for the reconstruction of Iraq and Afghanistan
- Federal agency contracting for the logistical support of coalition forces in Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom
- Federal agency contracting for the performance of security and intelligence functions in Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom
- The recommended collaboration and consultation of the Commission on Wartime Contracting with the Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction.
- The expansion of the role of the Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction to include investigative and audit capabilities associated with Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom.
"The Commission on Wartime Contracting Act (S.1825)" is an important step in addressing the phenomenal burden which has been placed on taxpayers due to waste, fraud, abuse, and mismanagement of wartime contracts. This legislation will ensure that those who were responsible for such waste are held fully accountable.
We thank you for being a leader on this issue of critical importance and we support your legislation.