We are no longer accepting applications at this time.
Founded in 1981 in partnership with whistleblowers, the Project On Government Oversight (POGO) is a nonpartisan independent watchdog that works to expose waste, corruption, abuse of power, and other instances where the government fails to serve the public. We champion reforms to achieve a more effective, ethical, and accountable federal government that safeguards constitutional principles. POGO has an over $6 million annual budget that supports a staff of over 40 employees.
POGO’s communications team is looking for a talented Communications Assistant / Associate to support the work and efforts of the communications team and other related programs. The Communications Assistant / Associatereports directly to POGO’s Chief Communications Strategist.
We encourage potential applicants to apply even if they only have experience or familiarity in some of the areas described below. We fully recognize that many great candidates will not have experience in all of the areas we list, or may have relevant experiences and skills that we have not listed or considered.
- Provide administrative support to the communications team, including: managing content calendars, aggregating email stats/items for weekly meeting agendas, drafting and uploading of advocacy action pages, building audience lists
- Assist and support the planning and execution of other teams’ programs and services as needed
- Coordinate and manage in person/virtual event logistics, including: drafting and sending invites, managing RSVPs organizing and distributing training materials.
- Support POGO’s email engagement efforts by inputting data into and adapting pre-built HTML email templates
- Assist with correspondence, mailings, and data input as needed
- Other duties as needed or required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and take initiative to solve problems and adapt to changing circumstances
- Demonstrated commitment to working in a nonpartisan, collaborative, respectful manner with diverse stakeholders.
- Communications or other experience working in a professional environment is a plus, but not required.
- Familiarity with HTML/CSS and email coding is a plus, but not required.
Compensation and benefits:
The job is full time and includes the listed benefits. This position is eligible for remote work, but otherwise the position and POGO are based in Washington, DC.
- Competitive nonprofit salary starting at $39k.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance.
- 403(b) employee investment plan available, with employer retirement contribution through a SEP IRA once eligible.
- Life insurance and long-term disability coverage.
- Metro SmartTrip benefits participation available.
- Paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave.
POGO is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce and provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. We encourage all interested and qualified individuals to apply.