POGO’s Development Team is looking for interns interested in learning the ins and outs about how a non-profit organization develops a sustainable revenue stream for its operations. This involves an in depth look at the decisions made to strategically develop and strengthen financial support for the organization from both funding institutions and individuals.
Opportunities for learning and growth:
- Gain marketable skills such as organization, communication, writing, and research, all pivotal skills needed for fundraising.
- Hands on experience in organizing donor events
- Obtain knowledge about the inside workings of funding systems in a nonprofit organization
- Helping to maintain a database of donors and prospective donors
- Conducting detailed research into prospective donors and foundations
- Assisting with writing and editing of development-related communications such as grant proposals, appeal letters, supporter newsletters, and engagement emails
- Customizing donor thank yous and other fundraising materials
- Creating donor analysis reports
- Planning logistics for meetings with donors
- Assisting with regular mailings of acknowledgement letters and outreach materials
- Strong research experience and ability to succinctly present recommendations
- Excellent writing skills
- Detail oriented
- The ability to work independently
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
We are looking for a person who has:
- The ability to meet tight deadlines within a fast paced environment
- A candidate who can think outside the box and connect programs to funding opportunities.
- A sense of humor
- Strong desire to learn as you go
- If you happen to be an excel wiz, that is fantastic, but don’t worry this isn’t required
The development internship is based in our Washington, DC office and requires a commitment of 30 hours per week during normal office hours. We offer compensation ($15.25/hour) to interns who cannot receive school credit or outside funding for their internship experience.
POGO takes interns throughout the year and will work with an individual’s time restrictions as long as there is a minimum commitment of three months. Traditionally we have only accepted full-time interns, but if you can’t commit to full-time, please include in your cover letter why we should make an exception for you.
Start and end dates are flexible.
Fall 2019: July 8, 2019
Spring 2020: October 25, 2019
Summer 2020: February 28th, 2020
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. All high school, undergraduate, master's, Ph.D., and J.D. students; veterans; and recent college graduates are welcome to apply.
POGO provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. We welcome all interested and qualified individuals to apply.
How to Apply:
Please send your application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “[Your Name] Development Internship Application”. Application materials include:
- Cover letter and resume
- Writing sample demonstrating some analysis (1-3 pages)
- Letter(s) of recommendation (optional, but please limit to two)
Any questions concerning internships or the internship program should be directed to Danielle Harris at email@example.com.