We are no longer accepting applications at this time.
Founded in 1981 in partnership with whistleblowers, the Project On Government Oversight (POGO) is a nonpartisan independent watchdog that works to expose waste, corruption, abuse of power, and other instances where the government fails to serve the public. We champion reforms to achieve a more effective, ethical, and accountable federal government that safeguards constitutional principles. POGO has an over $6 million annual budget that supports a staff of over 40 employees.
POGO’s communications team is looking for a talented Social Media Editor to help push our social media presence to the next level through creative storytelling and strategic thinking. We’re not looking for someone to just post our content, but someone who will also think deeply and creatively about how to use social media and other external platforms to tell our stories and uplift our work. The Social Media Editor reports directly to POGO’s Communications Manager.
We encourage potential applicants to apply even if they only have experience or familiarity in some of the areas described below. We fully recognize that many great candidates will not have experience in all of the areas we list, or may have relevant experiences and skills that we have not listed or considered.
- Explore, experiment with, and implement new ways to tell and share POGO stories and investigations on established and emerging social media and other external platforms.
- Identify key opportunities for engagement and relationship building with topic and cultural “influencers” and other relevant users.
- Remain current with the latest trends and best practices for social media platforms and tools, and share these developments with the communications team.
- Develop, create, and implement social media and other digital ad campaigns to uplift our stories and other projects.
- Utilize and adapt social media analytics tools to measure and increase the audiences for POGO’s work, particularly work by our experts.
- Create quick and shareable graphics, video, and other dynamic content to increase engagement across our platforms.
- Other duties as needed or required.
- Demonstrated experience being a passionate and engaging storyteller
- Demonstrated experience growing an organization’s (or individual’s) social media presence
- Demonstrated experience developing social media campaigns that drove change is a huge plus.
- Exceptional writing, editing, communications, and presentation skills, including demonstrated experience creating effective and engaging content
- Demonstrated experience using graphics and/or visuals to creatively tell stories on social platforms
- Familiarity with digital analytics and marketing content using social media and digital advertising
Compensation and benefits:
The job is full time and includes the listed benefits. This position is eligible for remote work, but otherwise the position and POGO are based in Washington, DC.
- Competitive nonprofit salary starting at $55k.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance.
- 403(b) employee investment plan available, with employer retirement contribution through a SEP IRA once eligible.
- Life insurance and long-term disability coverage.
- Metro SmartTrip benefits participation available.
- Paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave.