Open the Government
Open The Government is a coalition of groups around the country that advocate for transparency and accountability in the federal government.
Open, fair, and accountable government is something most Americans support. Unfortunately, things like secrecy, partisanship, and undue influence by the wealthy and well-connected have undermined transparency and accountability in government. Closed government stifles the media, increases public distrust, and jeopardizes public health and national security.
The public has a right to know what their government is doing. To help protect that right, Open The Government harnessed the power of our coalition.
We have worked to advance policies and practices that:
- create accountability by securing, preserving, and increasing public access to government information;
- protect national security by decreasing secrecy and by challenging overclassification of records that should be available to the public;
- empower communities by increasing access to government information;
- secure checks and balances by addressing threats to access and openness; and
- promote justice and equity in government decision-making.
In 2022, Open The Government joined the Project On Government Oversight. Going forward, we will prioritize advancing open government reforms that foster equity outcomes, with a focus on racial equity. We will continue to support our more than 100 coalition members around the country to advance this work, along with the work we’ve already begun together.